Review: Tarte Tarteist Mascara (#1 Length: A “Push-Up” For Lashes?)
When we think about “painting our lashes” we generally want the volume, length, depth, and with Tarte Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara, I always find that the product really works for all of the above and more.
This is the one item I’ll grab in a pinch when I can’t find anything that looks good or am having an off day, because it just always feels “safe,” and it always looks perfect and in place without smudging or messes.
We all hate smudges, slips, spills, and the dreaded clumpy overkill (when you actually have to wash off all your mascara and redo the entire process). Using Tarte’s Tarteist Mascara, this has never happened to me once.
If anything, it can be a lifesaver in fixing the mistakes created by other products. It has also been the single best lengthening mascara I have found in comparison to every competitor on the market. So if you’re looking for a lash “lift-up,” look no further.
Tarte’s Mascara also glides into bottom lashes and corners without any hassle, simply put, they look long and pretty.
If you’re looking to start the self-painting lash process, look no further than Tarte’s (vegan and gluten-free) mascara.
Review: Tarte Tarteist Mascara
Tarte’s Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara is a gentle .23oz jet black lash boosting formula designed to lengthen, thicken, and enhance the appearance of your natural lashes- and it works for all lash colors.
The jet black color glides on smoothly and evenly without any clumping or smudges (seriously) and can only be compared to a “push-up” enhancement for your lashes.
As someone who has tried press on lashes, salon lash extensions, and expensive serums promising to grow lashes- and know I’m not alone in this based on thousands of user reviews, this mascara has been a dream come true, at a fairly reasonable price.
The lengthening benefits are pretty incredible, and you’re able to reach all your lashes and separate them individually (including bottoms and corners), without them sticking together.
The result is fairly close to a salon based lash enhancement (I would not call it on par with the more dramatic salon treatment enhancements, but for a mascara, this as close as your getting for longer lashes).
I found the finishing result was fairly “doll like,” in a natural but very pretty sense, and this is a perfect mascara for those with shorter lashes, or those simply looking to “push it up.”
The Tarte Mascara also seems to simply last forever without drying out, so you can rest easy that your money will go the distance with the (still moderate) splurge.
In terms of volume, there are definitely great benefits and the lashes seem a lot fuller (and equal to length), but the best benefits with this particular mascara seem to be with lengthening and pigment- the jet black color and enhanced depth lasts all day, and looks gorgeous for day or night.
How Do I Use Tarte Tarteist Mascara?
For best use, following your regular eye makeup routine:
- Generously coat the brush with the product, ensuring no clumps get on the wand
- Apply to your lashes in a zigzag motion, starting at the base of lashes and pulling through to the tips
- For finishing or special touches, use the fanned bristles at the tip of brush to coat the inner and outer corners, and the bottom lashes (gently)
- One coat is generally enough for a daytime natural look, and two coats is great for added effect if desired (you can apply and build more from there if desired, as this product is not at all prone to clumping)
*If desired, begin with the primer of your choice for an even more enhanced effect with less room for potential smudge*
Tarte Tarteist Mascara Positives and Negatives
It’s difficult to personally find any negatives with using the Tarte Mascara, I found it to provide amazing volume and length (along with depth perception), and a “doll-like” appearance” that makes it look like you’re wearing fake lashes without the glue or pain. I guess if I wanted to be a 100% perfectionist I would add in a product like Givenchy’s Phenom Eyes (a roller ball style product) to fully perfect the bottom corner lashes, which seems a bit silly. This is one of the best mascara products I have used, and really stands the test of time even with everyday use.
Some may find the $20 range a bit steep if you’re already hooked on your fave drugstore mascara, but considering the ingredients used, I found this worthy of the extra few bucks- and it doesn’t dry up.
Here are a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Tarte’s Mascara is the best lengthening product I have tried- so those with shorter lashes or seeking lift will find the finishing look long and pretty (like lash extensions without the glue or pain)
- Vegan and cruelty-free company: products are never tested on any animals, no animal products are used in any product formulations, or during any manufacturing processes
- The mascara is formulated without any parabens, sulfates, harsh chemicals, or gluten (for those sensitive to the ingredient)
- The color is jet black and works for lashes of any color
- Long wear: stays in place for hours without any smudges, transfer, or spills and doesn’t feel heavy on the eyes (or like you’re dying to remove it at the end of the day), very comfortable wear
- The formulation is filled with nourishing and hydrating ingredients that condition the lashes and prevent any breakage or lash loss
- The brush has a silicone wand with multi-length bristles to coat every lash for a longer and thicker look
- The bristles can reach the bottom and corner lashes easily without any spills, smudges, or accidents- creating a “doll-like” appearance
- Enhances depth perception and volume
- Never flakes or falls off during the day
- Never any clumping effect (even when applying several coats for a more dramatic effect)
- Separates the lashes evenly and perfectly and holds them in place
- Two layers are all that are needed, but you may apply more if desired for a bolder look
- Longevity: the product lasts 6+ months even with continual daily use (technically you are supposed to exchange mascara products every 4 months or so, but I experienced no irritation using this for much longer)
- Very gentle product for those with sensitive eyes or lashes (or prone to breakage)
- Can be used easily with any eyeliner product or powders without smudging for a natural look
- The only con I can personally find with this product is the price point, while it is still moderate especially compared to shelf-life (it does not dry out), it is not as cheap as a drugstore brand (like the mascara we reviewed by Loreal previously), but in my experience- works much better with a much better formula and ingredients
- Other reviewers have mentioned flakes and raccoon eyes with use- as a side note, this is a comment I see under every mascara product available, and I believe the use of a primer would work wonders for these customers (unless there is a miracle formula out there), as this complaint is issued about every single mascara- but this happens with certain users due to sensitivities and lash structures, and primers can make such a difference in fixing this
Tarte Cosmetic’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy
Especially considering if you are new to the brand, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you. The manufacturer, Tarte Cosmetics, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the Tart Tarteist Mascara Lash Paint, or if it does not work for your lashes to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
Please note, this policy applies to online Amazon purchases and may not always apply to individual store merchants.
Tarte Tarteist Mascara: Worth It Winner?
When you’re seeking a total lash “push up,” Tarte’s Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara takes the number one spot for us, with an incredible ability to lengthen the lashes and separate each without ever clumping, smudging, or spilling.
It looks like you’re wearing fake lashes, without the pain, eye irritation, or glue processes involved, and that’s a beautiful thing.
Out of all of the mascaras I have tried, this one really gives a “doll like” appearance that is still natural and quite pretty, and makes the whole face look a bit more youthful somehow.
Tarte’s Mascara gets extra points if you are a fan of vegan or gluten-free products, or if you have shorter lashes and are looking for a lengthening formula.
With that said, it also scores really high on volumizing benefits and increased depth perception, and the color is jet black- without any flakes or messes during the day. And, it feels incredibly comfortable to wear. With some mascaras, I’m dying to remove the product by the end of the night, this one is weightless.
Tarte’s Mascara scores #1 and 5/5 as the best “maxi-style” lash push-up I’ve come across yet.