I typically love reviewing products and companies that sponsor or give back to charitable contributions or organizations, which is one of the reasons I often review TATCHA (in addition to the incredible product offering).
This year, Kiehl’s introduced a 4-piece skincare holiday collection set with gentle and effective products, and 100% of all proceeds are supporting feeding American families in need experiencing poverty.
So far, according to the manufacturer “this purchase helps secure about 449 meals for Feeding America. A total of 100 percent of net profits from the sale of this set benefits Feeding America, up to $100,000.”
This is certainly a cause most of us can get behind, and the skincare products included in the set are also soothing, hydrating, and suitable for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin. The set is a daily kit to support nourishing and gentle hydration, and designed to treat acne, dryness, dullness, blemishes, and uneven texture. The kit includes a cream, toner, mask, and wash, and all of the formulations are gentle emulsions of high quality ingredients and devoid of any harsh chemical additives.
This review will cover some main features on the kit, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, some main ingredients in the formulations and key benefits with topical use, more concise reviews on the included items, and a final verdict to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
The Main Features
Kiehl’s Collection For a Cause is a 4-piece set that includes one Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash, one Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner, one Calendula and Aloe Soothing Hydration Mask, and one Ultra Facial Cream.
All proceeds are donated to supporting hungry families throughout the country and to providing fresh food and meals to those in need. The products are designed to treat dry and dull skin, but are also suitable for acne-prone and oily skin types. None of the products contained in the set felt drying, irritating, or created any type of reaction even with very sensitive skin, and none created breakouts even with acne-prone skin.
This product makes a lovely gift option, especially during the holiday season, or an introductory item if you’re new to the line. Below you will find smaller breakdowns of all the included products in the set, including main features and benefits of daily topical use.
Ultimately, all of the products were very gentle, hydrating, and nourishing, and it felt great to contribute to such a great cause and a charitable contribution, especially during a season where no family such experience hunger, especially in comparison to skincare or product reviews.
The Included Products
2.5 oz/ 75 mL Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash
From the manufacturer, “this cleanser gently lifts away impurities, dirt, and oil without stripping skin. The creamy gel formula activates with water to create a rich foam, so skin looks refreshed and revitalized.Calendula’s mild properties make it ideal for use on all oily skin types including sensitive skin.”
I felt that the wash was very calming, refreshing, and provided a deep clean without drying or stripping the skin out at all. The skin was definitely visibly brighter following use and felt incredibly refreshed. It did not break out my skin or cause any irritation at all and was incredibly soothing, so skin felt “baby soft” after use, and I would certainly recommend it. My only qualm was I had to use a bit of extra product to remove eye makeup in comparison to other cleansers, but likely only because the formulation is so gentle. The pump function was also a bit difficult to use, and could use a bit of improvement from a manufacturing standpoint.
4.2 oz/ 125 mL Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner
Infused with calendula petals, this toner is free of alcohol and gently soothes the skin while getting rid of any redness or irritation.
It’s extremely gentle and nourishing, and does not feel harsh on the skin or drying at all. It made my skin appear less red, brighter, and much more radiant. It may be a bit more suitable for an oiler skin type, as I found myself needing to moisturize right away after using it. However, it does not contain any harsh synthetic drying agents and was not at all irritating topically. After use, skin feels calm, comfortable, and soft. It’s ideal for sensitive skin and does not cause breakouts or redness. I would recommend this for anyone who is sensitive to toners, acne-prone, or experiences issues using toners (especially alcohol formulations), including breakouts and redness. This product is incredibly light and soft, and leaves the skin feeling calm and smooth.
However, those who are dry may want to follow with a serum or moisturizer right after use.
0.47 oz/ 14 mL Calendula and Aloe Soothing Hydration Mask
Formulated for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and without any harsh additives or parabens, this mask is designed to repair dull skin and treat signs of redness and dullness.
The texture is a lightweight gel formulation but still feels very hydrating and highly breathable on the skin, and with continual use helps improves brightness and vibrancy, fully restoring radiance.
It is incredibly gentle and soothing, and even works for skin that has been damaged by sunburn, redness, or acne. It’s an excellent balance of calming and hydrating, and feels very relaxing to use. While I prefer the avocado mask from the brand, I would definitely use this and still recommend it to anyone, particularly those who are sensitive. This is a great go-to if you’re experiencing acne, redness, dryness, or looking to treat any irritated skin. It also adds glow and radiance to sallow or dull skin, and is a nice pick-me-up and refresher after a long week or day.
0.95 oz/ 28 mL Ultra Facial Cream
I was always really excited to try this cream after reading about incredible benefits for dry skin and its cult-following, as well as the 24 hour moisture hold (apparently once daily application is sufficient for this cream).
I found it to be incredibly rich and moisturizing without being greasy, and a very small amount of product goes a long way. It’s excellent for treating very dry skin and dry patches, and I feel like it’s ideal for very dry skin or for the winter. It did not break out my skin or create any reaction or redness, and it even helped treat redness around the cheek area. It’s fragrance free and the texture feels lovely. I would absolutely recommend this to those suffering with very dry skin. However, I will mention that in reading other reviews (although I did not experience this), others with very sensitive skin seem to mention this product made their skin feel very hot, irritated, and burned. Some experienced redness as well.
Ingredients and Benefits
Especially if you have any allergies or sensitivities to specific ingredients in formulations, it’s always important to denote ingredients and read labels in skincare products as you would food labels. Here is a look at some key ingredients found in the formulations of the products included in the set and their corresponding benefits with topical use:
- Acts as a natural SPF found in nature (not recommended as a daily SPF factor)
- Helps expedite wound healing time
- Anti-acne benefits: helps treat acne and the bacteria that causes breakouts
- Helps in treating topical conditions, particularly eczema
- Promotes skin firmness and restores any depleted hydration for dry skin
- Helps to brighten the skin, restoring radiance and glow to sallow or dull skin
- Rich in antioxidants and minerals to support overall skin health
- Helps protect skin cells from free radical damage and creates a protective barrier on the skin to fight sun and environmental damage
- Softens and hydrates skin without clogging pores or leading to any breakouts, leading to a glowing complexion and reduced pore size, adding and restoring radiance
- Soothes skin and nourishes
- Anti-aging properties; aloe vera contains beta carotene, vitamin C and E that can help improve the skin’s natural firmness and improve elasticity, contributing to a more youthful aesthetic
- Helps diminish the appearance of burned skin, soothes sunburns
- Anti-inflammatory properties promote healing and soothing to the skin, treats and inflammation or wounds, including infection
- Fights acne and acne-causing bacteria, helps address and repair scarring from previous acne
- Effective healing properties to the skin, helps repair and nurture tissue, helps treat sun damage
- Helps restore radiance in sallow or dull skin, creates a more radiant aesthetic
- Balances oil production for combination skin, and helps restore hydration for dry skin
- Feels incredibly nourishing and soothing upon application, and following treatment, softens and smoothes
- Powerful anti-aging benefits: helps minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and over time sun spots and hyper-pigmentation (with continual daily use)
- Restoring radiance, glow, and promoting a brighter and more even skin tone, especially with dull skin
- Helps fight and prevent any bacteria on the skin, anti-acne benefits and reductions in blemishes
- Helps improve the appearance of uneven skin, while restoring smoothness of texture
- Helps protect skin, forming a barrier, and helps restore depleted hydration
- Relieves skin irritation, redness, and breakouts (has anti-inflammatory properties)
- Suitable for oily skin types as well as dry skin types, as it adds balance as well as hydration
- Creates a protective barrier on the surface level of the skin, helping to prevent damage from toxins and sun damage and free radical damage
- Hydrates, nurtures and soothes the skin, leaves it feeling smooth and soft
- Helps reduce any inflammation, and expedites healing rates of any irritation, wounds, or redness on the skin
- For dull or sallow skin, helps promote a more radiant, luminous aesthetic
- Anti-aging benefits: helps improve the appearance of any fine lines and wrinkles, and hyper-pigmentation and sun spots with continual daily use over time
- Prevents and treats breakouts, blemishes, and acne marks by fighting acne-causing bacteria
- Helps in hydrating very dry skin and restoring hydration
- Helps in treating and preventing dry or itchy skin and fighting any irritation or infections
- Hypoallergenic and safe for use even with those with topical conditions
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts and healing existing acne
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any topical redness or irritation
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, softens and hydrates
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil
- Hydrates and detoxifies
- Anti-aging benefits: with continual daily use over time, fights signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and with longterm use signs of hyperpigmentation
- Suitable for all skin types as well as acne-prone skin
Positives and Negatives
While it’s very difficult for me to pinpoint any negatives with this set (and other reviewers seemed to have some issues with the cream included), here are a look at some key pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- While the products are lovely, perhaps the greatest benefit to this set is the charitable contributions and the spirit of the holiday season, in giving back to those in need who are experiencing poverty
- Cruelty-free company: product was not tested on animals and none of the formulations contain any animal product, or were used during any manufacturing processes
- Great savings compared to retail value per individual item
- Products are all formulated using safe and clean ingredients, devoid of any harsh chemical additives
- All included products are formulated for all skin types, including the most sensitive skin
- None of the included products created any irritation, redness, reaction, or breakouts even with sensitive and acne-prone skin
- Anti-acne formulations: for those that experience breakouts, products are designed to heal and prevent blemishes from forming by preventing the bacteria that causes them
- Wonderful gifting option for the holiday season, especially if the recipient enjoys skincare or has sensitive or acne-prone skin
- Great item as an introductory piece if you are new to the line
- Great item to purchase if you’re a fan of the brand and seeking variety, and enjoy the charitable contribution or products in the set
- All of the products included are very hydrating for the skin and improve radiance for sallow or dull skin
- All included products help even out the skins texture
- The toner included is very gentle and alcohol free
- While some of the products are fairly small (trial sizes), they did last much longer than anticipated with conservative use (over a month), and the included toner and wash are very generous in terms of size
- Considering where the money is going, I will not express any cons for this product or any price objections, and while some may disagree, the 100% net proceeds towards feeding those in need (this is a personal belief), are needed more for those experiencing poverty than anyone purchasing skincare items
- While the products are suitable for all skin types, they generally make work the best for normal to oily types, and definitely are suitable for acne-prone skin, however they aren’t drying if you do have dry skin either
- Some users claimed to have experienced burning and redness with the facial cream included in the set, especially those with sensitive skin, while I did not experience this (with sensitive skin), I would definitely recommend a spot test prior to application
The manufacturer, Keihl’s, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon product dissatisfaction or allergy, this policy generally favors the consumer, new and returning included.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the products, or if they do not work for your skin to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulations, you may elect to return the entire set. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the full kit. You may also wish to exchange the product for an equal and full refund- or opt for a single product you prefer.
One must bear in mind that you will need to return the entire set, as individual items within the kit are not available for return or exchange. It may assuage fears to know the product is formulated with safe, natural ingredients, is free of parabens and sulfates, and is formulated for sensitive and acne prone skin, making it suitable for most, barring any specific allergy to an individual ingredient.
This policy applies for online purchases, individual store purchases may vary. I did not experience any redness, irritation, or breakouts even with very sensitive skin that is acne prone, however individual spot testing is always recommended for all topical products.
The Final Verdict
I would highly recommend this set, both as a gifting option for the holiday season, or as a gift to the self. It’s a wonderful way to give back (and may be a very small way to do so, but every bit counts), and it’s always wonderful to hear of companies supporting charitable contributions, particularly during holiday seasons.
All of the included products lived up to initial claims of benefits and were gentle and effective, they brightened the skin, and were not at all irritating, drying, or irritating. Skin was visibly brighter, more hydrated, and I noticed decreased dullness immediately.
While I normally am not a huge fan of this brand in general, this particular set and these products were actually very high in quality and high in ingredient formulation, and the mission is solid. We all deserve to eat good, healthy, and nutritious meals. While most of us are fortunate enough to afford these staples, others are still in need.
So if you’re seeking this out for yourself or someone else, I would recommend it without reservation, and I commend the brand for donating all proceeds towards the cause.