Review: Deborah Lippmann Cuticle Oil (Nothing Compares)
While the subject matter had me at a loss initially as it seems rather inconsequential to formally review a product like a nail cuticle oil, I have a confession to make: my name is Beverly and I am a nail product-holic.
While working in the cosmetics industry for several years my colleagues and friends and I would exercise questionable hygienic practices often (the confessions continue) during lunch breaks and after work hours using the limitless array of high end tester products, gratis, and sample packets.
Despite the time and effort involved, nail products were not any exception to this rule for some of us, myself included. As an aside, this was almost always limited to finger nails, and for the very limited few who took things further south, I will always remember them, but lack judgment (suffice to say there will always remain some degree of bewilderment), but I suppose those were some stressful and interesting times at large.
Most of us preferred gathering around the Deborah Lippmann collection, which conveniently neighbored the field station account I managed for the popular apothecary and unisex sensitive skincare brand Malin + Goetz.
Lippmann’s assortment of products ranged from perfect nudes to stunning reds with perfect blue undertones to glitter-type products with kitschy names like “Candy Land,” that were ironically never tacky, and always felt like they had some sort of Lower East Side carefree-aesthetic appeal you’d fine a girl wearing with a pair of black ripped jeans at a hidden gem coffee shop. Maybe those same jeans looked like they came from a thrift store and actually cost $500, perhaps this is all resulting from an overactive imagination. Hopefully you get the general picture.
While I had never used cuticle oils in the past and limited nail “accessories” and pairings to your typical clippers, trimmers, and bases and finishing products, a colleague recommended Lippmann’s oil as “one of the best products ever,” of course a colleague who was also familiar with dabbling with hundreds of SKUs on a weekly basis.
Upon trying it out, I realized how correct a statement that was, and what a difference the product made for overall nail health and the manicured aesthetic. The product has also lasted years (with continual use). It’s one of those magic in a bottle type items I’d recommend to everyone without any reservations.
This review will cover some main product features, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing choice prior to any point of sale.
The Main Features
Deborah Lippmann’s Cuticle Oil Nail Treatment product is a hydrating cult-favorite for the brand, free of any parabens or sulfates and containing natural hydrating ingredients to nourish and sooth irritated or dry cuticle beds and nails.
The product is designed to safely and easily remove all dead skin while nourishing the nail beds and nail areas and formulated using Jojoba, Vitamin E and Coconut oils, all designed to protect, hydrate and condition. It’s luxurious and feels extremely soft, absorbs immediately, and never feels greasy, sticky, or tacky on the hands.
Following use, you can easily clip nail beds without worrying about any potential cuts, scrapes, or accidents, and the aesthetic of the finishing manicure looks more polished and extremely clean (for the perfectionists of the world). It’s quite lightweight yet feels very smooth following application, and the scent is akin to fresh coconuts. If you’re seeking a perfect formulation and product for a nail oil, this is one that outperforms every other product I have tried within the category.
The additional benefit in this case compared to cost and what adds value even given continual use is longevity, as the product requires such conservative use that it legitimately should last you for at least a single year (without any drying!) I can say this is another first for the entire product category.
Positives and Negatives
While the only main downside with this product is the cost compared to category, the longevity is perhaps the best I’ve seen across any product category to date. Even with continual use, this is a product you should expect to own for at least a year free of any drying or product erosion. It’s hydrating, soft, and absorbs rapidly without being greasy or causing any irritation. With that in mind, here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Cruelty-free company: none of the products are tested on any animals and none of the ingredients in the formulations contain any animal product, and no animal product are used during any manufacturing processes
- If you’d like to experiment with polishes and other products as well, the oil is included in many popular discount and gift sets as well
- No parabens, sulfates or chemical additives are included in the products, so there is never any irritation or redness on the nail beds or area following use
- Application feels soft, hydrating and nourishing, and nails are left feeling soft and smooth
- There is a sharp decrease in the risk of potentially cutting yourself using clippers or trimmers, as most of the nail cuticle tissue is fully removed
- For those who have not used clippers or cuticle cutting methods for many years, you may find you can completely eliminate the need for these products
- Leaves behind no greasy residue and softens skin using Vitamin E, jojoba oil, and coconut oils
- Softens the skin around the nails and provides a long hydration hold that lasts (24 hour plus moisture hold)
- Soft lovely scent akin to fresh coconuts that is devoid of any harsh chemical odors or fragrance
- For dry or cracked cuticles (or following salon or home accidents) this works as an instant repair treatment)
- While pricey, the product is absolutely worth the cost, in terms of longevity, ingredients, benefits, and it seems to outperform every other product in the category on the market
- Works instantly to soothe, repair, and remove dead skin (within seconds upon application)
- Options for getting the product with a brush or dropper applicator based on personal preference (I prefer the brush for more control upon application)
- A very small amount of product goes a long way, adding to value and longevity
- Absorbs rapidly with no drying time or need to blow on to the product for drying
- While it is not marketed this way, the product can also be safely applied to minor skin abrasions to soothe and acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Product longevity: even with regular continual use, the product lasted me well over a year (close to two years), and felt extremely worth the price
- Works for both men and women (and fingers and toes)
- No issues with the bottle or any spillage
- No issues over time with the product ever drying out, which I have never experienced with this product category across any other item or brand
- Follow with cuticle remover to remove all traces of dead skin on the nail bed and leave nails soft, hydrated and nourished
- Product can be massaged into the nails and nail beds for increased hydration
- The main downside especially due to the product category is the price. At $20, some find this a hard sell for a cuticle treatment, however, it lasts an incredibly long time (years) and provides incredible benefits over time with use that change the entire aesthetic of the nails and nail health, I personally feel its a product worthy of its cult-following and hype, and a great investment and splurge, particularly given the corresponding longevity
- While you can still find the product with the brush, it is typically now sold with a dropper applicator, and while I do not mind the dropper, I felt the brush allowed for slightly more control upon application, which allowed you to use slightly less product and increase longevity and shelf-life even further (though this can still be achieved and learned easily using the dropper)
Especially considering the price point for the product category, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Deborah Lippmann, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the cuticle oil even following use or opening it, or if it does not work for your nails to provide suitable hydrating or overall benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any topical redness, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
Even considering the category, the longevity with this product is absolutely phenomenal.
The Final Verdict
If you are in the market for new nail products or seeking a hydrating cuticle oil, after dabbling with many different products in the category, there is not a single other one I would recommend over Lippmann’s.
Her oil is lightweight, non-greasy, absorbs very quickly, and is incredibly hydrating. It can also aid in any preexisting irritation around the area, or help to prevent the possibility of bleeding, cutting, and redness in the area in the future (or treating at home or salon based accidents).
The product is also included in a lot of great gift sets under the same umbrella and she has a lot of unique brand offerings which I would recommend as excellent introductory items as well, especially if you’re interested in trying out the base products or polishes, or looking for holiday gifts.
Compared to every other product in the category I have tried to date, this one is truly a game-changer, and I would recommend it to everyone free of any reservation!