In a highly saturated market of products, Nars Concealer stands out with their radiant, creamy formula (along with their bestselling sheer glow foundation and line of popular blushes and lip products), has always stood the test of time and remained superior to many of its competitor products and brands in the category for a number of reasons.
Yet, we are still often so inundated with options that the main question usually becomes, “what concealer should I use?”
This is a highly relatable question for the vast majority of us, female or male, who are simply seeking a product that will work in treating blemishes, red spots, and under-eye circles without clinging to dry patches or looking uneven in tone and texture.
Having tried seemingly hundreds of these products at this point, ranging from drugstore formulations to high-end designer products that are upwards of $80 (only to be pointed out to me by an honest friend in the cosmetics industry that the color match was incorrect), it is fairly understandable to assume purchasing concealer products is typically met with some confusion, simply based on past experiences and trials and errors.
Why would anyone on a rather modest budget, even with prior industry experience, invest in overpriced concealer products? Because the truth is, on some level, the majority of us are still confused as to what to use and what will actually work.
But out of all of the products available to us now, one standout in the crowd is definitely NARS’ Concealer, with a long hold radiant finish and nearly identical cover match that actually covers up dark circles without clinging to any fine lines or dry patches under the surface area. I found myself able to use it as a standalone product without the need for any type of primer, powder, or additional product.
Nars Concealer also contains ingredients that help hydrate and nourish the under-eye area to protect from future damage, making it a suitable multi-use product and adding value.
With 22 different shades to select from specific to varying undertones, the color match is also nearly identical in natural and artificial light, so you will not be left with any discoloration or the dreaded “raccoon eye” aesthetic.
Review: NARS Concealer
Nars Concealer is a .6 ounce multi-use product that works to conceal redness, blemishes, scarring, and dark circles under the eyes while providing hydration and skincare benefits, including anti-aging benefits.
It has a radiant and creamy finish and SPF, and glides onto the skin comfortably without clinging to dry patches or lines.
The product is free of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives, and is formulated with only the finest ingredients that work to deliver the same benefits an eye cream or serum would and cover dark circles (with a long wear that does not smudge or require frequent reapplication throughout the day).
Having tried countless products in the concealer category, which can be a frustrating process and confusing even for those of us with experience in skincare and cosmetics, I recommend this product for anyone searching for the perfect concealer without any hesitations.
The color match is nearly identical and specific to undertones and suitable for all skin types as well as a wide range of complexions, and fails to ever look painted on or artificial.
Discovering Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer after trying countless options without much success, if any, actually served as a relief, and if this review can be helpful to anyone performing daily Google searches regarding a suitable choice of concealer, you are in luck.
Even with fairly significant dark circles after a long day or after a night without quite enough sleep, this product absolutely works in concealing the area without ever drying out the under-eyes.
Counterintuitively, it feels extremely hydrating upon application and conceals any fine lines rather than highlighting them, unlike many competitor products on the market in the category.
If you’re seeking a daily go-to concealer with a natural finishing aesthetic and added hydrating benefits, you may have met your perfect match with Nars Concealer.
NARS Concealer Ingredients
Especially for those of us with very sensitive skin types, checking labels on the ingredients in topical products can be just as important as understanding ingredient labels contained in the foods you eat or groceries you purchase.
As an effective multi-use product, here are some skincare key benefits the product can have with ongoing daily topical use, and a look at two of the main key ingredients:
- For dry or dull skin under the eye area: helps contribute to a smoother, softer, and more radiant overall aesthetic, eliminating any sallow tones and promoting a more refreshed aesthetic
- Protects skin under the eyes from sun damage naturally and heals from prior damage, helping prevent further fine lines in the area
- Neutralizes the effects of free radical damage from pollution and UV radiation (also helping prevent future damage)
- Safe and suitable for those of all skin types even concerning skin around the eyes, including sensitive skin types
- Protects the skin by forming a protective barrier against environmental and pollution damage
- Anti-aging benefits: helps address concerns around and under the eyes like fine lines, wrinkles, and with continual daily use over time hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Keeps skin hydrated and moist especially for those who are dry, while helping to calm and soothe the skin (naturally anti-aging)
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory, can help with skin rash, itch or irritation (never irritates the under-eye area)
- Brightens the skin naturally and reduces signs of uneven tone and discoloration, promoting an even and smooth overall tone
- Over time, helps minimize and decrease the appearance of hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Improves hydration and moisture, helps bind moisture into the skin and restores any depleted hydration under and around the eye area, for those experiencing any dullness or dryness, particularly during cold months
- Helps to reduce redness while helping skin retain a natural moisture barrier
- Helps to even out tone and texture
- Helps improve the appearance of the under-eye area and deliver a more radiant and refreshed aesthetic to treat any dryness or dullness
- Anti-acne benefits: acts as a natural antiseptic to prevent acne causing bacteria and treat existing acne (which may occur around the eye area
- Vitamins A, C, and E are natural antioxidants found in grapefruit seed oil, and great for skin overall skin health and aesthetic, helping to improve the appearance of tired looking eyes
- May kill various strains of fungi and bacteria on the skin
- Works as a suitable antimicrobial agent and helps to detoxify the skin around the eyes to prevent puffiness
- Anti-aging benefits: helps prevent and treat the signs of fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area and creates a suitable protective barrier to prevent the formation of new lines and signs of aging
NARS Concealer: Positives and Negatives
While I felt the majority of benefits, considering longevity, multi-use properties, and the overall efficacy of the product was well worth the initial investment, perhaps the only downside in this case is the initial splurge. While the product itself does not run cheap, it is important to bear in mind that even with daily topical use, you can expect to see results for months, and the product not only works for concealing benefits- it also truly hydrates and protects the sensitive under-eye area.
With that in mind, here are some key pros and cons to consider prior to purchase:
- Helps to blur and cover the appearance of lines, wrinkles, redness, red patches, and blemishes
- Actually covers up dark circles under the eyes without any spillage or slip, and provides a long hold throughout the day that does not require frequent reapplication
- Multi-use benefits: helps to hydrate the skin and support anti-aging benefits in addition to providing concealing benefits, to prevent future damage and signs of wrinkles and fine lines underneath and around the eye area
- Suitable and safe for any skin type, even sensitive skin, gentle and nourishing even around the sensitive under-eye area
- Even with sensitive skin and eyes, the product was not irritating to the area or eyes at all
- Even with significant dark circles (especially after a long work week), the product actually helped in concealing and covering up dark patches and resulted in a much more refreshed and vibrant aesthetic
- Antioxidant benefits help protect against free radical damage and create a suitable environmental barrier
- Light-diffusing mineral powder helps to even out tone and texture and reduces the appearance of fine lines (rather than clinging to them)
- Product never clings to dry patches on the skin, rather, the product helps to minimize the appearance of any patches while hydrating the skin
- Product longevity: even with daily continual use, users can expect a great product shelf-life, as it lasts for months and does not require frequent reapplication
- For those seeking a very heavy or thick formulation, while the product texture is rich and definitely suitable as a concealer, the formulation itself is not comparable to an extremely heavy duty coverage formulation (with that said, it still covers redness, blemishes, and dark circles)
- Price: perhaps the greatest downside with the use of this product is simply the price point, however, in comparison to benefits with use, longevity, and multi-use properties, this product definitely stands out amongst its competitors in a very positive way and seems to be a very worthy investment
If you have any sensitivity concerns or are new to the brand (or have had issues in selecting concealer products in the past), the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Nars cosmetics, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable hydrating or concealing benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin/acne-prone and did not cause any breakouts or topical irritation, but due to any specific sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable. I also felt it was hydrating while providing a long-wear coverage, adding value.
NARS Concealer: Worth It?
If you find yourself searching for the perfect concealer product for you, whether it is to disguise blemishes, scarring, dark circles, or to use as or in conjunction with highlighting products, I would absolutely recommend Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer.
Not only does it disguise dark circles without drying out the eyes, causing any irritation, or clinging to any dry patches or fine lines, it actually provides skincare benefits and serves as a hydrating product.
Additionally, the product does not smudge or slip throughout the day (even without the use of a powder or primer), and has a long-wear which does not require frequent reapplication throughout the day. With over 20 available shades that account for specific undertones and a formulation with gentle ingredients, the product is also safe and suitable for those of varying skin types and complexions.
There is never any artificial quality, “raccoon eye” aesthetic, or unnatural finishing appearance.
While the product is not cheap, it does last without drying out for several months even with continual daily use and may eliminate the need for other products due to the anti-aging benefits in conjunction with the cosmetics benefits.
As a self proclaimed extreme skeptic of concealers who has always had difficulty finding creams, serums, and concealers that actually work in covering up dark circles, I can attest after using this that this is well worth the investment- as it actually works.
Nars Concealer? Highly recommended!