Diptyque is a Parisian home and skincare brand that is perhaps most infamous for their fan-favorite soy blend, The Diptyque Baies Candle. With subtle hints of Bulgarian rose, berries and black currant, this product fills up the home with a rich but subtle aroma and keeps its following replenishing over and over.
They also offer outdoor options for home patios and backyards, a great way to entertain guests and mask any cooking or smoke odors. So is this popular home product a valuable luxury? Worth the indulgence and price sticker?
We reviewed to learn more and help you make a solid purchasing decision before the splurge.
This candle attracts home product “fanatics” as well as customers looking for gifts (for others or a treat to self). The signature scent often creates strong olfactory memories and associations, another reason for frequent replenishing. It has a lovely scent that lingers in the room without being overpowering. Subtle but present.
It makes a perfect addition to any room of the home, and while it does not have the power or intensity of a diffuser, it remains the most popular choice in home fragrance product, and made my entire home smell of fresh roses and notes of subtle berries.
Don’t we all want cozy self-care and guest hosting that gets us compliments from time to time (if we’re being honest)?
Review: Diptyque Baies Candle
Diptyque was founded in Paris by three friends with shared creative passion; and an interest in the world of skincare, beauty, and the home. The founders are Christiane Gautrot (an interior designer), Desmond Knox-Leet (painter), and Yves Coueslant, theater director and set designer. They opened their first shop in 1961 on 34 boulevard Saint-Germain to display their designs.
With trial and error and years of expertise, the company honed in all product offerings, and became a leader in the home luxury market. Today the product is enjoyed throughout the world and sold in multiple accounts, Brick and Mortar locations and remains a popular online purchase choice.
Diptyque also carries fragrance, body, and face products but remains notorious for candles. It is not the case, but they are often regarded as a candle company exclusively. The company is also highly regarded for it’s unique and attractive aesthetic design, marketing, product packaging, and visual merchandising.
Diptyque Baies Candle Notes & Ingredients
Bulgarian Rose- 1,300 roses are used to make a single gram of oil, akin to a bouquet of flowers
Blackcurrant- fruity undertones and akin to fresh fruits
Berries- notes of blueberries and blackberries
The candle has been described as smelling like a “bouquet of roses,” or “Bulgarian rose with subtle notes of berries and fruit. Floral certainly overpowers fruit notes, without eliminating them completely. It’s suitable for both men and women, and does not lean too heavily “feminine” despite floral notes. It remains a popular choice amongst male consumers as well.
As a side note, if you’re looking for gifts that are suitable for both men and women or comparison shopping, check out our review on Stitch Fix while you’re here!
Diptyque Baies Candle: Worth It?
We often don’t realize all of the uses of a single product, especially simple products like candles for the home. But with the beautiful glass design and overall aesthetic, we found additional uses even after burning it entirely. The candle can be used:
- When empty, as a vase for flowers
- Decoration on a coffee table (fragrant decor)
- When empty, as a drinking glass
- When empty, as a wine or cocktail glass
- When empty, for storing different goods neatly (i.e. earrings)
- Entertaining guests or dinner parties
- Indoor and outdoor applications
- To detract small bugs outdoors
- As an aromatic compliment to a diffuser, home spray or different candle
- The oil can be used as a solid perfume (apply this to skin when candle is not burning)
- To fragrance a kitchen area, bedroom or bathroom
- Eliminating cooking or smoke odor
- As a gift especially if there are questions about the recipients preferences (i.e. “safe gift”)
Diptyque Baies Candle: Positive & Negatives
- Burn time: 60 hours, an hour per day of burning can provide 2 months of use
- Scent: the aroma is subtle yet noticeable and the fruity/floral blend is lovely and appreciated by most
- Luxury: this product feels and looks like quite a luxurious home product
- Can be used to entertain guests, with indoor and outdoor options
- Aroma produces strong olfactory associations, memories, can be enjoyed in any room of the home
- Wonderful aesthetic/packaging
- Ingredients are very high in quality
- High degree of versatility for product category
- Smell is not overpowering and odor is “natural”
- Price. At $65 for a 60 hour burn time, this candle comes is an indulgence, but does last for months
- Fire safety- of course as with any candle product, it shouldn’t be left alone and should be placed carefully
- Competitors offer similar products in different packaging using the same notes and ingredients for less cost
- Some claim the scent gives them headaches or is too strong, however most feel it is quite mild
How to Use
The candle should always be burned directly to edges when lit. The quality and properties of the oil can be diminished if the candle is not burned directly to the edges of the rim. Similar to any candle, keeping the wick trimmed to 1/4″ is important. It must be trimmed before use or the flame gets to high, burns the wax unevenly, and releases smog. The candle can be used daily but is not suitable for periods left unattended or overnight while sleeping.
Follow these guidelines and enjoy!
Diptyque’s offering, while pricey, can certainly be seen as an investment product for the home or for special occasions. It makes a lovely gift for others or the self, has multiple “off-label” uses and is made with only the finest ingredients.
The smell is appreciated by the majority of fans, first time users, gift recipients, and guests of others alike. The downside to the product is of course a price point that is not suitable for the average consumer, and one must certainly evaluate the cost compared to needs or wants. But this is certainly based on individual preference in this case.
While some would never purchase a candle with this price, others would certainly consider based on specific needs and personal value. In terms of quality alone, this is a great product that offers a long burn time and longevity.
Notes of fruits and fresh flowers combine to produce an aromatic blend that stimulates the senses and provides lasting olfactory associations and memories.
Candle junkies and Diptyque fans may say that can’t be quantified by any metric or dollar value.