Benefit Cosmetic’s Benetint is a product that has definitely developed a cult-following and become a brand bestseller, a product I have known and adored since early childhood.
While it seems unconventional, the product was actually created in the 1970’s for an exotic dancer, and offers a provocative yet natural aesthetic, suitable for all day wear (day or night), and designed to naturally color and flush the lips and cheek using a gentle stain in a sheer rose color.
With an affinity for multi-use products that offer lasting results and a naturally sheer finishing aesthetic (suitable for all skin types), the hold lasts for hours and the results are both sexy yet innocent. The ultimate finish, whether applied to the cheeks or lips, is healthy, dewy, and radiant.
Perhaps one of the best product features is the incredible multi-use functions this single product has to offer, eliminating a need for other products and adding value to a product that already offers incredibly longevity and shelf-life.
It can be applied to the cheeks for a rosy glow (as a standalone product or in conjunction with a blush, it can be used under a highlighter (such as Benefit’s high beam or any product of your selection), and it can be applied to the lips for a natural stain that provides a strong hold and lasts throughout the day. For the latter application, you may also wish to apply it under a different gloss or lipstick for an evening look.
Designed as an instant pop of color with a matte finish to enhance the natural complexion, the formulation lasts after eating, drinking, and is remarkably “kiss-proof” (a true rarity in the category).
This review will cover some main product features, some positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase, as well as final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing decision prior to any potential point of sale.
Review: Benefit Benetint
Benefit Cosmetic’s Benetint is a 0.33 oz/ 9.75 mL rose tinted lip and cheek stain with a brush tip applicator that makes use on the cheeks and lips simple, it glides right on and provides a natural and dewy aesthetic.
The product has truly stood the test of time as a cosmetics mainstay for fans of beauty products for decades, and the multi-use benefits in comparison with product longevity (lasting 6-8 months even with ongoing daily topical application), generally make this a very valuable investment.
Benetint is ideal for those seeking a natural glow (which is also highly buildable for a more dramatic or evening look), and it can be used under highlighting products, as a stain for the lips that provides long wear (as a standalone item or in conjunction with other lip products), or simply as a natural flush type stain for the apples of the cheeks.
The finishing aesthetic following use is quite natural and revives any signs of dullness or sallow skin by delivering a healthy looking glow and restoring radiance to the complexion. As a universally flattering product, it can also be suitable for those of varying skin tones and complexions.
In terms of skin type and concerns regarding product sensitivity, the company CEO and founder developed allergies and topical conditions, and with this in mind developed a gentle and nourishing formulation that is suitable for all skin types, including the most sensitive. With sensitive and acne-prone skin, I did not experience any product breakouts or reactivity following the use of the product.
The texture is not sticky or greasy and provides a matte finish, for those seeking a product devoid of any “shimmer and sparkle.” With that in mind, you may also always opt to use the stain with other lip or cheek product to create your own perfect aesthetic.
I would certainly recommend Benetint for anyone seeking a multi-use lip and cheek stain that provides a healthy and rosy glow to the complexion that lasts for hours throughout the day and does not require frequent reapplication, even after eating or drinking.
If anything, this is an ideal “set it and forget it” type product.
Benefit Benetint Positives & Negatives
While my experience with this product was extremely positive and I felt the product offered a natural aesthetic with a dewy and radiant finish, further providing versatility and incredibly multi-use benefits, some reviewers felt the product was not as strong as gel-based formulations on the market and had other varying qualms.
With that in mind, here are some key positives and negatives to bear in mind prior to purchase:
- Incredible multi-use benefits with use: the product can be used as a cheek stain (with or without blush), under a highlighter, and as a lip tint (as a standalone product or under a different lip gloss, stain, or stick product)
- Excellent product longevity: even with continual daily use, the product lasts 6+ months and has an excellent shelf-life, adding value to an a multi-use product that may already eliminate the need for other products
- The scent is light and lovely, akin to fresh roses or rose petals
- Only a dab or three small strokes are needed to apply to the cheek area (those looking for a more dramatic look can do the same process twice)
- The finishing aesthetic on both the lips and cheek are lovely- dewy, natural, rosy, and improve radiance for those experiencing dull or sallow complexions
- Safe and suitable for those with all skin types, including sensitive skin, and the company CEO has suffered from several allergies and topical conditions, ensuring the products are gentle and suitable for all
- The product color itself is universally flattering and works for those of varying complexions and skin colors/undertones
- As a lip product, the stain has incredible hold for hours that lasts on the lips even following eating and drinking
- When used under a lipstick or other lip product, the color holds much longer and will last throughout the day despite eating and drinking
- The product is matte finish and lacks any shine or glitter in the formulation
- The applicator brush makes the product extremely easy to apply and then blend on to the skin using fingers or a suitable brush
- The liquid itself is quite thin and has a very gentle texture, that never feels greasy or sticky following application or while applying
- The product is extremely easy to apply to the lips without any spills or smudges, and extremely blendable for the cheek areas
- When used under or after a highlighting product, the finishing aesthetic is quite radiant and dewy
- The hold on both the cheeks and lips tend to last throughout the day, for at least 6-8 hours following application
- For those who appreciate an extremely natural aesthetic, a single or tiny application will create a very natural flush that improves the appearance without even looking like a noticeable makeup application
- The natural rosy aesthetic when used on the cheeks or lips is completely non-drying, so those with dryer skin types do not have to worry about feeling any dryness, skin patches, or flaky feelings
- As a cult-favorite for decades, this product has proven the test of time and developed a well deserved cult following for its multi-use benefits and ability to last, while providing a naturally attractive glow
- Coverage is highly buildable, so those seeking a more dramatic look can apply more of the product or blend with other products for an evening look or stronger rosy color
- Even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, using this product on the face I experienced no redness, irritation, skin sensitivity, reaction, or breakouts (with that in mind due to individual allergy concerns it is always advisable to spot-test and carefully read label ingredients to prevent such)
- At $30, considering the product category this is certainly not an inexpensive product, however in comparison with multi-use benefits and product longevity, it should last for 6-8 months at a minimum even with continual daily use, making it a suitable alternative for those looking for a go-to product with incredibly shelf-life and longevity
- While the jury is still out on this and different research and information seems somewhat conflicting, it is difficult to find Benefit Cosmetics on a list of cruelty-free companies who do not test on animals or use animal product for any manufacturing products- while it is clear this is a not a custom in the United States, there is uncertainty remaining if the products are being tested in other countries (so vegans or those who strictly use cruelty-free cosmetics may want to research this body of information further)
- Some consumers seem to feel the product does not last as long as gel-based formulations on the market in the category
Benefit’s Money-Back Guarantee
Especially if you are a new consumer or not familiar with tints or multi-use products, the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Benefits Cosmetics, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of the product, or if it does not work for your skin or lips to provide suitable benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time. In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item.
If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
If you feel the policy if not taken into consideration, you may contact customer service, and you can remain ensured you will receive a full refund.
I was happy to discover that the formulation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin (regarding the cheek area) and did not cause any breakouts, but due to any prospective concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
While I felt compared to the longevity and multi-use benefits this was a worthy splurge that proved incredible longevity even with daily topical use, this is a highly individual choice, and only one you as a consumer can decide on.
Benefit Benetint: Worth It Winner?
Benefit’s Benetint is an ideal product if you’re seeking effective multi-use benefits and a solid product shelf-life that provides a dewy, rosy, and healthy looking finishing aesthetic with a matte finish.
For those seeking the most natural finish, even 1-2 drops applied to the lip can create a healthy and glowing appearance that does not even look (in a positive way) like you are using any makeup products. With that in mind, coverage is still highly buildable so if you are seeking a more dramatic look, you can certainly apply on and blend for a more noticeable appearance and finish.
The product looks great under other lipsticks and glosses, as well as highlighting products or blushes of your choice, but can certainly be used as a go-to standalone item as well.
If you are seeking a go-to daily stain that will provide a strong hold throughout the day without any spills or smudges, and one that lacks any greasy or sticky texture, this is highly recommended.
For decades this product has remained a staple for many and it’s not surprising why it has gained such a following and notoriety, because it works, it is simple and easy to apply, and can help you skip other products and steps in the process.
If you are seeking the perfect stain that can be applied with a wide variety of applications, and works for multiple looks and may eliminate the need for other products, I would highly recommend Benefit’s Benetint.
In terms of efficacy, long-wear, longevity, and multifunctional capability, Bentint definitely deserves a 5/5 rating, and I would recommend it free of reservations.
As an aside, if you are a fan of subtle peach tints, the company also offers a product called “Benefit Posietint,” which is not quite as popular but is also a highly recommended fan favorite that produces a natural finish and a soft glowing finishing aesthetic.