Milk Makeup’s collection of vegan and gluten-free products, especially the phenomenal “Meet The Fam” Set have been trending recently and have become a personal favorite (and gained a loyal cult-following that continues to grow and trend) for their transparent practices, high quality product formulations, and products that offer benefits with use and actual efficacy.
In general, I find their products typically exceed initial claims of benefits with use (rather than just meeting or living up to them).
We recently reviewed the lightweight Sunshine Oil Tinted SPF product, a highly breathable and very lightweight coverage cosmetics and skincare multi-use product that offers an extremely natural finishing aesthetic.
For those seeking a heavier and fuller coverage foundation option, the brands Blur Liquid Matte Foundation offers the same multi-use skincare and cosmetics benefits, is suitable for all skin types (including very sensitive skin), but offers a full-coverage matte finish.
While the coverage is fuller, the product is still highly breathable and feels weightless on the skin, and as with all Milk Makeup products, it is is formulated with high quality ingredients to nourish and hydrate the skin and devoid of any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives.
This review will cover some main product features, some ingredients and benefits with corresponding topical use, some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase, and a final verdict, to help you make a more informed purchasing decision prior to any point of sale.
Review: Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation
Milk Makeup’s Foundation is a 1oz full-coverage matte finish product designed to be weightless on the skin and formulated without any silicone or oil.
Formulated for those of all skin types (and safe for sensitive skin barring any specific topical allergy to an ingredient in the formulation), the product features and innovative airless tip to minimize any dripping and air exposure which could potentially degrade the product. This allows the product to stay fresh, the color to stay true, and all of the product to stay inside of the packaging free of any spillage or leaking.
It has a lightweight, serum-like texture, that is designed for those seeking a full coverage aesthetic without any heavy feeling or texture on the face that you would typically feel or experience with other similar products on the market.
From the manufacturer, “designed to make applying and wearing foundation easy, Blur Liquid Matte Foundation offers flawless full coverage at first swipe, leaving a smooth matte finish that looks and feels as light as air. Like Milk’s Blur Stick and Blur Spray, Blur Liquid Matte Foundation instantly minimizes the appearance of pores and imperfections using blurring microspheres, tiny powder-filled spheres that diffuse the light to leave a flawless, soft focus effect.”
I found even with very sensitive and acne prone skin, the product was not at all irritating, and the color match was nearly identical in artificial and natural lighting. Additionally, a small amount of product goes a long way, and the product feels hydrating.
Formulated with skincare based ingredients, it proves to be a valuable and suitable multi-use product, that does not come off or smudge throughout the day, and offers a long wear with coverage that is full but still results in a natural looking aesthetic.
This is a perfect product for those seeking a matte finish full coverage foundation (with additional skincare benefits), that is still highly breathable and feels weightless following application.
Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation Ingredients
Especially for those of us with highly sensitive skin, it can be very important to consider product ingredients in formulations in the same way we would- and read them as we would food labels, additionally, we can better glean corresponding skincare benefits with ongoing daily topical use. With that in mind, here is a look at some key ingredients in Milk Makeup’s Blur Liquid Matte Foundation as well as corresponding benefits with ongoing daily topical use:
- For those with very dry skin: helps in depleting any lost hydration and soothes, restoring any lost moisture
- Anti-aging benefits: with continual daily use over time, fights signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and with longterm use signs of hyperpigmentation
- Helps in providing moisture to the skin that is very absorbing and provides a long
- Helps in treating infection and decreasing bacteria on the skin
- Attracts moisture to the skin, which is very absorbing and leaves the skin smooth and soft
- Anti-acne benefits: helps prevent acne and bacteria that causes blemishes, decreasing breakouts, blackheads and whiteheads, particularly in the t-zone area
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any topical redness or irritation
- Soothing and nourishing to the skin, cooling and cleansing
- Helps in providing a hydrating cleanse that still leaves skin smooth and free of any dirt or oil, without drying out or stripping the skin of natural oil-moisture hold
- Suitable for both very dry skin, combination skin, sensitive skin, and acne-prone skin
- Excellent for healing skincare wounds and expediting the healing process of all irritation or topical infection
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in treating any irritation, redness, or damage to the skin
- Help in treating clogged pores via antiseptic properties
- Natural anti-acne benefits and disinfectant properties
- Antioxidant benefits help protect the skin from the effects of free radical damage
- Soothes, calms, nourishes, and hydrates dry skin
- Helps lighten and treat scarring, particularly acne scarring
- Helps in treating topical conditions, particularly eczema
Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation Pros & Cons
While the majority of product features and benefits with use in this case were very positive, and I would highly recommend this product to fans of vegan and/or gluten cosmetics, or those simply seeking weightless and highly breathable matte finish full-coverage foundations, the main downsides seem to be in cost (although compared to value, it seems worthy of the splurge) and some reviewers with oily skin did not feel the product was the most suitable for their skin.
With that in mind, here is a look at some key pros and cons to consider prior to purchase:
- Cruelty and vegan company: company does not test on any animals, does not use any animal products in any of the formulations or during any manufacturing processes, including beeswax
- Product does not contain any parabens, sulfates, gluten, oils, or silicones
- Suitable and safe for all skin types
- Offers a full coverage matte finish with a natural aesthetic that is still extremely breathable and weightless following application
- Coverage is highly buildable, dependent on individual preferences
- The product is offered in a wide variety of shades and pigments, specific to undertones, and provides a nearly identical color match in natural and artificial light
- Multi-use benefits: the product offers suitable coverage and cosmetics benefits but also hydrates and nourishes the skin due to ingredients in the formulation designed to support skin health
- The tip applicator helps keep the product air tight, preserving the product and ensuring no spills or leaks (in addition to preserving the color and composition of the product)
- Long wear use: product does not smudge or come off and provides hours of coverage throughout the day
- Even with sensitive and acne-prone skin, product did not create any redness, irritation, reaction or breakouts following use
- Does not settle into pores, get patchy, or cling to any dry patches on the skin
- Can be used in conjunction with a setting mist or the popular Sunshine Oil for those who prefer a slightly more radiant finish
- Product longevity: because a small amount of product goes a long way, conservative use is required
- Some reviewers with oily skin types felt this product was not right for their skin type, with many describing it as “clumpy” after a few hours (this was not a personal experience, however my skin tends to run on the dry side)
- At $40, the product is certainly not cheap, however it does provide suitable multi-use benefits and longevity, and definitely proves to stand out amongst its competitor products sold at the same or higher costs, adding value compared to cost
Milk Makeup’s Money-Back Guarantee
Especially considering foundations and color matches can be tricky at first (as a new consumer), the return policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Milk Makeup, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning. If you are dissatisfied with the use of the foundation, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable skincare and/or cosmetics benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item. If the item was received as a gift (without receipt), the policy applies for an even exchange, and this policy is applicable to online purchase, as individual store policy may vary depending on location and distributer.
I was happy to discover that the formulation of the Blur Foundation was gentle enough to use even with very sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts, but due to price barriers or sensitivity concerns this policy may help assuage fears, as individual allergies are highly variable.
Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation: Worth It?
If you are seeking a matte finish medium-full coverage foundation that is highly breathable and cannot be felt on the skin, I would definitely recommend Milk Makeup’s Blur Liquid Matte Foundation product free of reservations.
The product has suitable multi-use benefits in terms of both cosmetics and skincare, has a natural finishing look even with full coverage, and is free of any harmful additives (in addition to being free of gluten and completely vegan).
The color match is nearly identical in both natural and artificial light, and with such a large assortment to pick from that is tailored to individual pigment undertones, the product is also suitable for an diverse array of skin complexions (as well as types, including those with sensitive skin).
If you are looking for a solid daily go-to foundation, this proves both benefits with use and longevity, and seems to be a worthy splurge, as a small amount of product goes a very long way.
If you are looking for a product that does not feel like you are wearing a “mask” and holds throughout the day while still providing a high degree of even and full coverage, and offers additional hydration benefits with use, this is definitely a great option.