When you’re in need of silky and smooth skin, Laneige’s Water Bank Essence is like a sports drink or a boost of water delivered right to your face that can be used anytime of day.
Perfect for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone skin, the Water Bank Essence is made with hydro ionized mineral water and 6 essential minerals, it delivers smoother and softer skin that can be used after a toner and before a moisturizer (in the AM and PM).
Sometimes we’re all feeling parched and dry and in need of an added boost when our creams and serums simply aren’t doing enough, and with this essence, the skin is left looking smooth and supple.
Sometimes we all need that perfecting treatment to put on before makeup in the morning for a more flawless finish, or toss on in the evening in between normal steps when our skin is extra dull.
Laneige’s Water Bank Essence has definitely been all the rage lately, but is it worth it to add on an extra step or is it hype?
We reviewed first so you wouldn’t have to.
Review: Laneige Water Bank Essence
Laneige’s Water Bank Essence is a 2oz skin hydrating, soothing, and anti-aging product designed to be used in between a toner and moisturizer, in the mornings or evenings.
Laneige itself has recently grown in popularity and taken off as one of the most famed brands with a loyal following, known for products that not only work, but are very gentle on even very sensitive and acne-prone skin.
The Water Bank Essence in particular is great for even very sensitive skin, and dry skin that still seems in need of hydration even if you’re using serums and moisturizers without success. When you have any dull, flaky, or rough patches of skin, this is a great quick-fix.
It also helps refresh, brighten, and restore skin that seems dull or sallow, and is the perfect product to use under makeup for a grease-free glow and boost of extra radiance without any sticky residue left behind (plus you need less makeup products following use).
The first time I tried Laneige’s Water Bank Essence, I loved the lightweight texture and it felt incredibly gentle and absorbing, especially after using a good cleanser and toner. It left my skin feeling extremely even in tone, smooth, and very soft.
There was a feeling of instant hydration and an instant “glow” and a brightening effect after a single use.
I started using it as a nightly treatment the same way with the same effects and continued to notice softer, smoother skin, and also combined it with oil treatments for even more radiance and supple skin.
Filled with zinc, magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium, sodium, and hydro ionized mineral water, the Water Bank Essence is also simply a product you can feel good about putting on your skin, as it supports its overall health and balance.
While I typically wouldn’t go through an added step in a skincare routine, this is one product that provides such great benefits with use (hydration, balance, anti-aging, and brightening) and can be used so many different ways, it’s the perfect exception to the rule and doesn’t take a lot of time to use at all.
We’re all in need of additional moisture, balance, and softened skin sometimes. And when you find a product you can use and experiment with in so many different ways for a moderate price, it’s a keeper you can always bank on.
Laneige Water Bank Essence: How To Use
- Use every morning and evening as a part of your daily skincare routine
- In the evening, use after a cleanser and toner, and follow with a serum and/or cream of your choice
- In the morning, use after a cleanser and/or toner, and follow with a skincare routine or primer and makeup routine of your choice
- Spread the Water Bank Essence from the center of the face outward
- Press palms into the face for better absorption rates and pat gently
- Can be combined with other serums, oils, or creams of your choice for added benefits or hydration (mix and experiment until you find your perfect combination, or use as a step on its own)
Laneige Water Bank Essence Pros and Cons
Overall, while I don’t typically use additional step products like essences or lotions in regular routines (and have been known to even ditch primers), I can’t help but admit that Laneige’s Water Bank Essence truly does make a visible difference when used every day- with or without a toner. Your skin is visibly softer, more radiant, glowing, hydrated, and so much brighter. It seems like a really high quality serum, but for a lower price point, and definitely has great anti-aging benefits when used over time.
Here are some main pros and cons to bear in mind prior to purchase with Laneige’s Water Bank Essence:
- Gently plumps and evens out the skin, over time erasing signs of fine lines and wrinkles
- Cruelty-free company: Laneige does not test on any animals: does not use any animal products in any of their product formulations, or during any manufacturing processes
- The Water Bank Essence is not made with any parabens, sulfates, or harsh chemical additives or dyes that can be irritating to sensitive skin or cause reactions
- Safe for all skin types including sensitive and acne prone- with both skin types I did not experience any rashes, redness, skin irritation, reactions, reactivity, or breakouts during or after use
- The Water Bank Essence can be used for day or night, either in the morning after a toner and before priming/makeup or in the evening as a part of your regular skincare routine
- Anti-aging benefits: helps decrease the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, sun spots, loss of elasticity, and loss of firmness
- Helps to even out skin tone and texture and restore balance
- Helps the skin look healthier, more radiant, and more youthful
- Ideal for dull or sallow skin: my skin instantly appeared more dewy, glowing, and radiant after using the essence
- Makes your skin feel extremely soft, hydrated, and nourished, especially if you are extremely dry (cures flaking, rough patches, and dry spots)
- Has a lovely clean fresh scent that isn’t overpowering and does not smell of chemicals or too harsh and lingers on the skin
- Lightweight on the skin and highly absorbing, never feels greasy, heavy, sticky, or leaves behind any residue
- Extremely brightening after even just one or two uses and changes the look of makeup application if used before applying
- Can be mixed with a serum or oil of your choice for even more hydration
- Helps other skincare products applied absorb easier after use, and absorbs rapidly as well
- Only a very small amount of product is require with every use, making it last for several months and adding value
- Price point: while the price is certainly not excessive at $33, it is also not a drugstore brand product point range, and some may feel for an added step they would rather save the money (however many claim this product is better than pricier serums on the market they own, and has more benefits), and it does last for quite some time
- Some would rather same time on daily regimens by not adding another step into a daily routine, however Laneige’s Water Bank Essence does not make your daily steps seem excessive, and truly does make a visible difference when used both in the morning and at night
Laneige’s Money- Back Guarantee Policy
If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin (or price barriers are a concern given this item’s cost for you) or have not used Laneige products in the past, the return and exchange policy in this case may be a highly important factor for you.
The manufacturer, Laneige, has a strong return and exchange policy that honors full refunds upon dissatisfaction or allergy, and this policy favors the consumer, both new and returning.
If you are dissatisfied with the use of Laneige’s Water Bank Essence, or if it does not work for your skin to provide suitable skincare, anti-aging, and general hydrating benefits, or you experience any product allergy or reaction to the formulation, you may elect to return it at any time.
In this case, you will receive a full refund equal to the entire purchase price of the item, if purchased via Amazon (it can’t be guaranteed to apply to individual stores or merchants).
In this case, the formulation of the Water Bank Essence was quite gentle enough to use even with very sensitive and acne-prone skin and did not cause any irritation or breakouts, and it is designed to be safe and very gentle for all types of skin, but spot testing is definitely recommended with this product, as with any topical treatment item.
Laneige Water Bank Essence: Worth It Winner?
If you’re looking for the perfect essence product to bank on hydration and anti-aging results, Laneige’s Water Bank Essence gives you that soft and supple feeling that really does make a difference in both the morning and evening.
Not only does the essence help your skin glow, appear softer and more radiant, and feel smooth and even in tone, as you continue using it over time with your regular skincare routine, the anti-aging benefits are visible, and the product helps your other serums/creams absorb more effectively.
The Water Bank Essence is great for all types of skin, but it’s truly perfect if you are dry, sensitive, and even acne-prone, as it’s incredibly gentle and just a combination of essential minerals and hydro ionized mineral water.
It ends up feeling like putting refreshing water and vitamins on your skin, that help to restore balance and leave you feeling refreshed.
My favorite way to use the essence was combining a small amount of serum and then following with a regular makeup routine in the morning, for a more dewy and radiant finish (when you’re in need of a pretty glow without any grease or shine).
You can also try mixing in a light oil at night for a luxurious pre-bedtime ritual.
Whichever way you choose to apply the Water Bank Essence, when you have parched, dry, or dull skin, this is the perfect remedy, and leaves your skin feeling amazing.
Recommended for instant revival, glow, and baby soft skin!